The Bain One Way Video Interview: What You Need to Know to Pass
If you were asked to take the Bain One Way Video Interview, we want to show you how to prepare.
Following BCG’s lead using one way video interviews the past year to pre-screen candidates using fit questions, certain Bain offices is starting to also use one way videos as well and if you’re reading this, it’s likely the office you applied to is one of those offices.
If your goal is a career in management consulting, you need to buff up your video interview skills.
Below, we’ll tell you everything we know about Bain’s one way interviews, from what to expect to how to pass.
If you’re just getting started with the consulting recruiting process, you might want to start with this page on case interview prep and come back to this later.
There is no need to prepare for the one way interview unless you know you have one since it is right now not given to all Bain candidates.
But if you’ve received a one way video invite from Bain, you’re in exactly the right place.
This past recruiting cycle, we helped 100% of our clients get through their BCG and Bain one way interviews. Now, we’re ready to help you with your Bain interview as well.
Let’s get started!
What Is the Bain One Way Interview?
A one way interview is a video interview. With Bain’s invitation, they’ll provide a link to HireVue.com, a digital recruiting company that specializes in online assessment games and video interviews.
You can use your computer or smartphone (we recommend computer) to access the site and record your answers at a time convenient for you (though do make note of the deadline).
When you’re ready to answer Bain’s questions, click on the link.
HireVue will provide your questions and walk you through the process of recording and submitting your video answers.
Why Are Bain and BCG Doing One Way Interviews?
HireVue says that video interviews have several advantages over the traditional process.
They’re quick because video interviews eliminate the need for candidates to travel to a Bain office.
Also, the timing of the interview is flexible; there’s no need to wait until an appropriate interviewer has a free slot in their schedule.
Another advantage is that they allow Bain to recruit from a broader range of geographies and a more diverse candidate pool.
This can give candidates from non-target/non-core schools a better shot at getting a first round interview.
HireVue says most candidates have a positive experience with the process.
What Types of Questions Are Asked in the One Way Interview?
The Bain video interviews are pre-screening interviews.
They cover your experience like traditional behavioral interviews but also include high-level case questions.
Sample Bain one way video questions include:
- What was the moment in your life you’re most proud of?
- How would you help a peer who was struggling with his/her workload?
- Tell me about your main concern for a self-driving car business. Why is that a concern?
Because the video interview covers both behavioral and case questions, you should spend a bit of time preparing for each.
Fit or behavioral interview questions assess whether a candidate has the soft skills needed to be successful in consulting. You could be asked about:
- Do you exhibit leadership characteristics?
- Are you also a team player?
- Are you coachable / do you respond to feedback?
The best way to prepare for fit interview questions is to review a list of common questions and develop stories to show you have the characteristics Bain is looking for.
We’ve compiled a list of the 10 Most Common Behavioral Interview Questions and tips on what to say and what not to say.
To prepare for the case question, you should see our page on Case Interview Prep.
At this point, focus on providing a structured answer to a general business question. You only have 2 minutes to provide your answer, so you will not have a multi-layered case question like you see in the video on that page.
You will need to be ready to solve more complex cases when you pass your video interview and are called back for your First Round Consulting Interviews.
Things You Should Know Before Your Bain Video Interview
- HireVue’s platform will give you a chance to do a practice /test to make sure you understand how their system works.
- You’ll be asked to answer 3 questions.
- You’ll be given 5 minutes to prepare your answer for each question.
- You’ll have only one opportunity to record your answer and will have 2 minutes for your answer.
8 Tips and Tricks for Passing the Bain One Way Interview
- Prepare answers to common fit interview questions. Your answers will be more thoughtful and detailed if you have them ready in advance of your interview and don’t need to recall details on the spot.
- Understand what a case interview is and what interviewers look for in your answer.
- Practice presenting answers to common fit questions. Use Loom to record your videos so that you can review your answers and improve them. Yes, it’s awkward to watch of video of yourself answering interview questions, but this method will allow you to see your mistakes and correct them before your answers count.
- Keep your answers to the point. Get straight to the heart of your stories without spending time on less important details. Focus on what’s most important to the recruiter.
- Show your enthusiasm. Imagine you’re an interviewer who needs to spend hours watching video interviews and making decisions about who to pass to the next round. You want to stand out in this person’s mind by letting your excitement about this future career path show.
- Choose a quiet, well-lit space to conduct your interview. You don’t want anything to distract you or your interviewer from your answers to the interview questions. Make sure your roommate knows that you’ll be doing an interview and does not walk into the room in the middle of it. Also, make sure your space is well-lit and that whatever part of the room is in the picture is neat and organized.
- Check your microphone and Internet connectivity ahead of time. You’ll be anxious enough as you get ready for your interview. Don’t let technical glitches make you more nervous. This is why we recommend using a laptop instead of your phone in case a call comes in, you lose signal, etc.
- Dress as if you were on the job. Wear business attire to your video interview just as you would for an in-person interview.
What Roles and Geographies is the Bain One Way Interview Being Used For
Video interviews are being used for pre-screening purposes for some select (but not all) candidates applying as experienced hire consultants in all offices, including those in the U.S. They are also being used for pre-screening in Southeast Asian offices for select applicants.
Candidates who pass the video interview will move on to first round interviews.
Still have questions?
If you have more questions about the Bain one way interview, leave them in the comments below. One of My Consulting Offer’s case coaches will answer them.
Other people preparing for screening interviews found the following pages helpful:
Help with Case Study Interview Prep
Thanks for turning to My Consulting Offer for advice on case study interview prep. My Consulting Offer has helped almost 85% of the people we’ve worked with get a job in management consulting. We want you to be successful in your consulting interviews too. For example, here is how Kay was able to get her offer at Bain.